In 2012 the East Northamptonshire Council Development Control Committee passed an application for a new retail, leisure and tourism destination in the Nene Valley. Following that the developers of Rushden Lakes, LxB Retail Properties, announced their exciting plans.
The wider investment at Rushden Lakes will create 1,900 direct new jobs and open up some of Northamptonshire's most stunning countryside for people to enjoy free of charge.
Just 30 acres of the 244 acre site on the edge of the A45 will be built on. Public access will be restored to the network of lakes and there will be water-based facilities for community use including free open access for the local scouts, guides and sea cadets.
Rushden Lakes will be developed in three phases:
- Construction of Phase 1, which includes three retail terraces and associated restaurants, is under way and the terraces built under this phase are expected to open to the public in spring 2017. Phase 1 will be anchored by M&S, House of Fraser and Primark with a further 30 retail units;
- Phase 2 comprises an 11 screen cinema pre-let to Cineworld with further restaurants and a wider leisure offer. It is anticipated that construction will commence prior to March 2017; and
- Phase 3 for which a revised planning application will be submitted later this calendar year.
The wider Rushden Lakes development will feature:
- 380,000 sq.ft of shops, to include well-known retailers (see below).
- A pedestrian and cycle bridge over the A45 linking Rushden Lakes to the town.
- Waterfront restaurants and boathouse run by Canoe2.
- A lakeside visitor centre.
- Footpaths and cycle routes.
M&S, House of Fraser and Primark have exchanged contracts to anchor the development alongside H&M, River Island, New Look, Schuh, Fatface, Moss Bros, Jigsaw, Hobbs of London, Phase Eight, L'Occatine, Joules and Paperchase. We are also in discussions with many other retailers but are already over 70% let.
Since permission was granted the developers have been working hard preparing the site and undertaking remediation works. This phase of work is almost complete and the site already looks different.
The handover to anchor stores for fit-out will take place in the Winter of 2016, and the first stores set to open in the Spring of 2017.