***WHAT TO DO TO HELP SOMEONE WHO IS HOMELESS***
***WHAT TO DO TO HELP SOMEONE WHO IS HOMELESS***Encompass Charity (Rushden) has put together some great advice and signposting below...
SERVICES THAT CAN HELP
Report via Streetlink which is forwarded to the local authority: https://www.streetlink.org.uk/
● Contact the NN Rough Sleeper Team - 01536 464630 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
● Details help the outreach team! - Gender, age, exact location, car reg, tent/sleeping bag colour.
● Signpost to foodbank or day centre (Rushden) https://encs.org.uk/
● Support them to contact the council and make a homeless application – 0300 126 3000
● Anyone can self-refer to a supported accommodation (local ones include but not limited to; Futures, High Street South, Changing Lives, Emmaus, Amicus Trust, Accommodation Concern)
● Duty to refer for agencies/professionals - https://live.housingjigsaw.co.uk/alert/duty-to-refer
Being a rough sleeper is isolating, scary and tough. Most people walk past people who are begging or sleeping on the streets and many people who we have supported said they felt invisible and forgotten. Don't be afraid to go and have a conversation.
● Offer to buy food and drink.
● Ask the person if they need anything (clothing, socks, gloves, hat, sleeping bag, blankets, toiletries, books)
● Have a conversation – listen to their story, chat about day-to-day things.
● Take them to the café for lunch.
● Offer to refer them to other services listed.
● We advise not to give money but this is your choice.
● Google local services to signpost.
● Advise the person to contact the council if they haven't already.
If someone is, or is going to be, homeless in the next 56 days contact North Northamptonshire Council 0300 126 3000.
Posted: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 11:51 by Michelle Lewis